Tuesday, January 6, 2009

No new stuff in '09

It hit me on Christmas that we have way too much junk in the house.  The kids have enough toys, crayons, clothes, play-doh, shoes, etc to last them a while.  I've made a New Year goal not to buy any new stuff for them until we move.  Now, I'll still buy diapers and food, and things they really need (ie: if they suddenly grow out of a pair of shoes) and toiletries.  

So far, it's been going good.  I haven't purchased anything other than food that I really needed in about a week.  I was at Costco last night and saw the book, Marley and Me.  I just saw the movie on Sunday so I really wanted the book.  I didn't buy it though.  It was something I wanted, not needed.  I'll see if I can find it at the library or used book shop.  

Knitting supplies also fall under "no new stuff" rule.  I've recently wanted to start learning to make socks, but won't for a while.  See, if I start making socks that means purchasing new supplies.  I won't purchase anything new till we move out of town.  For now I'll just use up the stash of yarn and needles I have.  Less to move in a few months anyway. 

We're on day 5 of snow.  Yes, 5 days of snow.  It's frustrating.  It's a pain in the ass to sweep off the car every time I go out.  It's annoying to kneel in snow while buckling kids into car seats.  It's troublesome to have my wiper blades frozen and not cleaning my windshield properly.  I can't wait to move out of here and defrost for a few years.  

I didn't sleep well last night.  My aching back kept me awake for a long time.  I'm dragging ass and in pain, and cranky today, so I'll be headed for a nap soon.  Lord know I need one.  Then I might not be able to sleep tonight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment